I am full of myself.
I know I've said this before...so this may not come as news to you, but it needs to be said repeatedly. I began the "On Love" sessions as something of a pouring out of my thoughts. Typing them out onto the internet for anyone to see sort of helped me lay out my ideas and understand what I believe.
The last post, though...the one about love being patient...was posted for different reasons.
Somewhere along the line, I fell of the horse, or the wagon, or however the expression goes...I fell off of something.
That post was to teach all of you something, because I think all this "On Love" stuff would make a pretty good book at some point, maybe. So I got to thinking about how witty I needed to be, and how I needed to come up with new, original interesting stuff. I started thinking about how I needed to write well, and be informative, instructive.
Which is stupid. I didn't learn anything, or rather, I learned very little. I think that's a big problem. As I've said, I am a clanging cymbal. I am a resounding gong. I am nothing. I gain nothing.
So, I'm promising you now, that I will go back to writing about Love, as I see it, and not writing about love as I think you ought to see it. I will continue to reflect on scripture and attempt to let that reflection of love shine onto this blog.
My friend Canada suggested I listen to this speech from an author he really enjoys, on creativity. The speech was all about creativity, and particularly, how skewed our society's view of creativity is. She spoke of the Greco-Roman idea of a muse, who guided the artist through the creative process. This takes a lot of pressure off of the artist, no longer needing to be some kind of creative genius. It also relieves them of the egomania that goes along with believing himself to be inherently talented and better than those around him.
Isn't that what all Christian art, should be? Why do we (and by we, I mean "I") seem to believe that God can work all sorts of miracles and knows everything about me and created nature and beauty and love and...everything, and yet knows nothing about filmmaking or screenwriting...or posting on a blog?
I can only speak about the goings on in my own pride-perverted mind...and, in many ways, I assume that everybody else thinks the same way I do. Maybe so. Maybe not. I don't know. But if you ARE like me, then you pretty much believe God can handle all the little and big things in your life, with one minor exception...your gift. Whatever you are phenomenal at. Whatever you are passionate about -- we seem to think we are better at it than God.
And on the one hand, it seems kind of silly, doesn't it? The idea of God knowing all about the filmmaking process? The idea of God coming down and teaching Quentin Tarrantino or James Cameron or Christopher Nolan a thing or two about how to make their movies better. Or sitting down with Peter O'Toole and giving him some acting tips.
God, and Jesus too, seem like such ancient relics, that we only look to them to help us with the sort of things that people needed help with back when Shakespeare was alive (isn't that when the King James Version was written?)
For modern artforms, we may ask his help, but do we really mean it? I know I don't. Maybe you do, and you've just discovered one of the many reasons you are more like Christ than I am. I, as it turns out, am the chief of sinners.

No comments:
Post a Comment