So, yeah, I'm gonna be that guy...I'm gonna complain about how this particular passage gets way too much attention, and then blather on about it on my blog.
Love is patient.
Love is kind.
It does not envy.
It does not boast.
It is not proud.
It is not rude.
It is not self-seeking.
It is not easily angered.
It keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
I was reading this, in The Message, actually...which I find to be slightly less accurate, but a lot easier to read if you're actually planning on paying attention to what you read. (I often find myself reading my Bible and saying, "Alright, made it to chapter 7! Now I'm done" and having absolutely no clue what in the world I just read. Just words, and it's easier to just chug through them like a speed reader, maybe getting the gist, but no more).
Anyway, this is one of those passages, I find that we've heard so many times that it stops having any meaning. Yeah, yeah, yeah, love is patient, love is kind...I know the drill. It becomes less about love and more about a checklist for your romantic relationships: Am I being patient? Check. Kind? Check. Do I envy? No...but she sure does! I'll have to let her know about that. Or it's a promise we make at our weddings. It almost doesn't matter what kind of love we show to every single person we interact with day to day...the only person it's really important to love in a Biblical way is the solitary person that we want to love. We pick and chose who we love...we narrow this definition of love down to focus on one single, solitary person. And that person happens to be the one who is easiest for us to love.
So, I've known for a long time, as I'm sure you have, that this passage applies to more than just that one romantic relationship we're in. But, how many times have you stopped to go through that checklist of whether or not you truly love someone Biblically about your boss? Or your uncle? Or that guy who annoys you so bad you want to rip off your arm so you have something to throw at him?
Don't let this verse apply only to that girl or guy you're totally head over heels for. In fact, I challenge everybody reading this. Every time you look over this verse, and think of that special someone, and (rightly) try to correct yourself so that you show them love more fully...do it a second time. And the second time, think of somebody totally insignificant in your life. Measure them by that same ruler. Make sure that you love them just as much as you love your own spouse or child. Make a serious attempt to love them as much as God loves them.

No comments:
Post a Comment